By Chip Roy
Last night the voters of the 21st Congressional District in Texas sent a message that the time is now for a fundamental change to our government. The time is now for a Congress willing to help President Trump truly drain the swamp. The time is now for the people to have representatives who no longer look them in the eye and tell them they are doing one thing when they are literally doing the opposite.
- No more trillion-dollar deficit spending by supposed “fiscal” conservatives.
- No more taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood by supposed “pro-life” conservatives.
- No more bills to “repeal” Obamacare that simply do not repeal the law by folks who continue to campaign on full repeal.
- No more “border security” measures that claim not to grant amnesty while granting amnesty to millions and partially funding a wall for one year.
- No more claims of empowering states by supposed “federalist” conservatives while voting to grant massive power to Washington.
- No more sending our men and women in uniform into harm’s way without both a clear mission and the tools to accomplish that mission.
We don’t have a problem with America, we have a problem with Washington – and it’s time for proven conservative leadership willing to challenge the establishment on both sides of the aisle. One smart Texan said to me on the campaign trail, “to drain the swamp, you gotta clean the rats out of the pipes.” Amen.
Together, we will get busy dismantling the regulatory state and cleaning out the bureaucrats who refuse to leave. And in so doing, we will not just protect Texas from the long arm of the federal government, but make Texas even stronger so we continue to lead the world as a beacon of what mankind can accomplish with the blessings of the Almighty and the opportunity afforded us in a free society.
I want to thank each and every Texan throughout the district who cast their vote for me in a field of many other candidates. I’m also grateful for all the patriots across the state and country who supported my campaign in other ways. My sincerest gratitude to the volunteers who have traveled the district, the over 1,300 individuals who contributed, the campaign staff who worked tirelessly, and most importantly my family who encouraged and sacrificed so that we could do this.
We were blessed to unify leading conservatives around our campaign in Texas and nationally. I now ask for your continued support as we take the next step, and ask for your prayers for the hard runoff battle ahead. Early voting in the runoff starts on May 14th and Election Day is May 22nd. We’ll need an all-hands-on-deck push to finish strong.
Thank you again — this is a team effort and together we will seize on this moment in time to truly transform our country.